Sunday, December 24, 2006

Looks like I made it

Whew! I am wiped out. What a relief to be done with my Christmas shopping. It was crazy out there. I feel for those poor souls who still have to get their shopping done. I have even got almost all of my wrapping done and have delivered some pressies. Hopefully this means that I can relax a bit and perhaps sneak in a nap preferably a nice long one (she says this while yawning and having difficulty reading the screen from the water in her eyes).

For the past three years this day makes me pause, it will be a day I never forget for as long as I live. My sister went in for emergency surgery on 24 December 2003, suffering from a severe crohns episode/infection. She had never been diagnosed with it prior to this event and all we knew was that she was losing so much weight rapidly and was in extreme pain and doctors kept on telling us that she was fine. I took her to a different hospital and finally got someone who cared to figure it out for her in time to save her life. The doctors told us that she would not have made it another day and that she was lucky to have survived the surgery. I will never forget that feeling and feel extremely thankful for all the wonderful people who provided her with excellent care. It reminds me of how quickly life changes and that we should never take one day or any of our loved ones for granted. Remember to tell the people you care about how you feel about them and give them a hug.

Lastly, I want to wish everyone a wonderful Christmas. May it be filled with happiness and love.

Big hugs to you all.

4 comments:

Sue Sykes said...

Merry Christmas, Elia! So glad that you trusted your instincts and got your sister some good quality care! Big hugs!

Crystal said...

Merry, Merry Christmas, Elia!! There are so many memories associated with Christmas - I'm glad yours ended happily. Saying a little prayer for sisters, yours included, today!!

Unknown said...

Here's to a healthy new year! Merry Christmas my friend! And to Elizabeth too!

Heather said...

Oh tearing up!! Tragic things like that really make you reflect on what is really important in life. Thankfully you still have your sister.